A Brief History of All Saints' Episcopal Church

The Nave of All Saints' Episcopal Church The Episcopal congregation at Union, West Virginia, was organized on May 3, 1869. Names of "families connected with All Saints'" around that time include many of the earliest settlers of the area that would become known as Monroe County: Caperton, McNeer, Shanklin, Johnston, Dunlap, Hereford, Rowan, among others. The first recorded baptism occurred on March 26, 1871, of the infant Harriette P. Patton; the first recorded confirmations, of five persons, occurred on August 20 of that same year.

The church building dates from 1875 and has been in continuous use since that time. Furnishings that are considered to be original to the church include the pump organ (which is still functional, although rarely used now), the church bell, the baptismal font, the Eucharistic candlesticks, the altar cross and the candelabras behind the altar. The communion vessels currently used were acquired at least as early as 1909.

"Recent" modifications to All Saints' Church include relocating the altar away from the east wall of the sanctuary, which required relocating the altar rail a short distance towards the nave; the location of the original altar rail can still be seen on the walls of the sanctuary. The original source of heat for the church, wood stoves, was replaced over the years to a forced-air system; the ceiling above the old organ still shows the location of the stovepipe, though. A storage closet in the narthex was remodeled to provide a rest room relatively recently and, while the old wall lanterns and chandelier remain in the nave, lighting has been upgraded to electric lights.

© 2012 All Saints' Episcopal Church ~ All Rights Reserved